Funding approved by JSPS
The JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Early-Career Scientists funding application got approved in April 2022.
The project's duration is three years between April 2022 and March 2025.
The approved amount of grant is ¥3,600,000 (currency: Japanese Yen).
First technical outlook
The project continues to evolve. By July 2022, it developed three separated platforms using WordPress (researchic.com), Moodle (researchic.com/courses), and Mahara (researchic.com/portal). In September 2022, it integrates the BigBlueButton feature with unlimited videomeeting functions inside the platform of Moodle.
The WordPress site publishes information about the project, the hosts' information, the event information, and calls for participation, tips for doing educational research.
The technical layout of three platforms was influenced by the original plan of setting up an online knowledge base for educational researchers; therefore, it looks rather complicated and distracted from the research project. In fact, it was not only aiming for hosting online journal club events.
Dr. Jingjing Lin, initiated this project. She serves as full-stack developer of the project and the platform, as well as the principal investigator of the research activities in this project.
Ms. Cindy Liang, who volunteered her collaboration from the original ResearchIC idea continued to volunteer her ideas, support, and efforts in this funded research project. Now she serves as an event coordinator at ResearchIC. She is still active in the project
Mr. Diego Rosal, who was hired as a project assistant, started to work in July 2022 on ResearchIC project, and left the project on December 21, 2022 upon the completion of the six-month contract.
Ms. Niki Chu Ji joined the team on November 1, 2022 to be volunteer assistant for the project. She is still active in the project.
Second technical outlook
In October 2022, the focus of ResearchIC was switched completely to hosting and organizing online journal club events.
Aligned with this new direction, WordPress site was deleted and replaced by the Moodle instance (originally published on researchic.com/courses). The functionality of the WordPress site was integrated into the Moodle instance so that no two separated sites were needed anymore.
- ResearchIC (https://researchic.com): status-active
- ResearchIC Courses using Moodle (researchic.com/courses): status-deleted
- ResearchIC Portal using Mahara (https://researchic.com/portal): status-idle
Third technical outlookOn December 6, 2022, three things happened, which influenced my decision to narrowing down two directions of the researchic project.
- swtiching from "educational research literacy" training to "scholarly reading" training
- swtiching from "educational research literature" to "e-learning research literature"
- I was preparing for IEIR2022 conference's keynote speech. I found that Computers and Education is the most cited journal on the e-learning topic. It seemed that Pareto principle (20/80 rule)also applies to citation distribution in journals.
- I downloaded a csv file including 4,949 articles' metadata from Scopus. Among them 669 were open access articles.
- I got enquiries from an assistant professor on LinkedIn sharing with me that he was quite new to the practice of online education and has no experience of teaching online. He wanted my advice and suggestions.
Such a direction narrow-down can make ResearchIC become a platform that can support online faculty development programs in universities and schools. It will not be limited to research students or early-career researchers anymore. Instead, it will have the potential to benefit all teachers on different education levels regarding their relationship with applying technologies to teach and help students to learn better in the digtal age.
Such a new direction will significantly change the way the 100 OJC Events are organized, such as:
- event categorization will be modified to cover different themes in e-learning research and practices
- AI and education
- Gamification and education
- CMS and education
- the selection of journal articles used in OJC events will be mainly from Computers and Education, to ensure its high quality and trendy updates
- invitation of OJC hosts will switch to invite authors who published in Computers and Education