ResearchIC has placed an open call to invite a total of 100 researchers as hosts to 100 OJC (online journal club) events on ResearchIC.com in 2023 and 2024.
The first step of either hosting or attending the 100 OJC Events is to create a new account on ResearchIC.
- The host is, preferably, an educational researcher who has continuous records of conducting and publishing research in the domain of education sciences.
- The host will develop and deliver one OJC event on ResearchIC in 2023 or/and 2024, using one of the given event structures (as shown here) by ResearchIC.
- In general, each OJC host researcher is required to:
- select a peer review journal article to read in the OJC (can be your own paper or others' paper)
- demonstrate through a minimum of 30-minute video recording of their screens on how you suggest the audience to read the selected paper if it was written by you, or how you read the selected paper if it was written by others.
- deliver a 30-minute short lecture as a response to the question "How do you find, select to read, and organize research literature as a researcher?"
- [optional] ask questions in the forum to guide or inspire students for in-depth reading of the selected paper; and
- [optional] answer questions from students in the forum.
However, we understand that established researchers are often busy. Therefore, the actual engagement is negotiable.
Each host will be assisted by one event coordinator through the whole process.
- * Cash award: 10,000 yen (around 67 US dollars or 69 Euros on November 4, 2022), will be paid through international bank transfer to each 100 OJC Event host. Event attendants will not be paid for attending the event. However, event attendants can respond to the given surveys for the reward of 1,000 yen per response (one attendant is limited to one response).
- Certification: Each event host will receive a Certificate of Service, while each event attendant will receive a Certificate of Participation.
- Unlimited event access: Free access to all 100 OJC Events and forthcoming more OJC events on ResearchIC.
- Learning data: A copy of the learning data (anonymized) from your hosted OJC event(s) will be shared to you by the ResearchIC platform. Upon mutual agreement with other OJC event hosts, multiple events' learning data can be shared among a group of OJC event hosts to encourage research collaboration in the community.
- Social networking and research outreach: The events will connect global educational researchers and postgraduate students in the domain of education science. Moreover, the events are open to user registration from the general public, the other sectors, and researchers/students from other discipline. If you are using self-authored paper in your event, it is a good opportunity to expand the outreach of your research.
- Listed as a research consultant: as an OJC host, you will have the choice of being listed as one of the research consultants on ResearchIC's website. It sells your research consulting to registered users on the platform. This benefit is optional and you can opt out without influencing any benefit stated above.
(* In case of international respondents who reside outside Japan, the international remittance fees will be deducted and therefore the final received amount may be less)
100 OJC Events are asynchronous
You may ask "Are OJC events synchronous (i.e., live) or asynchronous (i.e., recorded video)?" The short answer is "everything is done asynchronously" when it comes to hosting an event on the platform. The project's preliminary investigation found that asynchronous training resulted in better results for improving the research literacy of participants. Therefore, all event hosts can pre-record their two 30-minute lectures and upload them to the event page. Questions in the forum are also posted in advance. Answering questions from the audience also takes place asynchronously.
FAQ and guidance for hosts
Delivery of 100 OJC EventsBy 15 March, 2023, it is expected that half of 100 OJC Events will be going online.
By December 29, 2023, the other half will be online.
Once these events are published online, they will be available as open educational resources for anyone from anywhere to access them anytime.
Deadline of application
Until all 100 events are filled
Final hard deadlines: Friday December 29, 2023 (Add to your calendar)
All hosts and attendants by participating in this open call and engaging with 100 OJC Events on ResearchIC, agree to have their user data collected and analyzed for research purposes.
How to sign upMost host in 100 OJC Events are invited by email individually. Once you agree to be a host, the event coordinator will be assigned to you, who will guide you to the next steps.
As alternative, if you are not invited by email but would like to be one of the hosts in 100 OJC Events, please use the following forms to sign up: