ResearchIC has placed an open call to invite a total of 100 researchers as hosts to 100 OJC (online journal club) events on ResearchIC.com in 2023 and 2024. The first step of either hosting or attending the 100 OJC Events is to create a new account on ResearchIC.
The 100 OJC Events' theme is "Education and Technology", which aims to share research outcomes from highly cited journals in the domain of e-learning, with the lead of 100 researchers. Their sharings will shed light to guide better teaching designs with the support of technology under many modes such as online/hybrid/flipped classrooms.
- The host is, preferably, an educational researcher who has continuous records of conducting and publishing research in the domain of education sciences.
- The OJC event will follow a fixed given event structure.
- Each OJC host researcher is required to:
- select a peer review journal article, which is considered a classic/must-read publication or widely cited in education science, to read in the OJC (cannot be your own papers)
- demonstrate through a video recording of your interface interaction with the article's pages (a minimum of 15 minutes' video) and demonstrate how you read and interpret the selected paper.
- deliver a short video (a minimum of 15 minutes' video) as a response to the questions
- What are your literature identification strategies?
- What are your frequently used reading strategies?
- How do you organize literature and knowledge as a researcher?
- [optional] ask questions in the forum to guide or inspire students for in-depth reading of the selected paper; and answer questions from students in the forum.
However, we understand that established researchers are often busy. Therefore, the actual engagement is negotiable.
Each host will be assisted by one event coordinator through the whole process.
- Honorarium of cash reward*: a symbolic payment according to the payment regulation and standard at Toyohashi University of Technology will be paid through international bank transfer to each 100 OJC Event host.
- Certification: Each event host will receive a Certificate of Service, while each event attendee will receive a Certificate of Participation.
- Unlimited event access: Free access to all 100 OJC Events and forthcoming more OJC events on ResearchIC.
- Social networking and research outreach: The events will connect global educational researchers and postgraduate students in the domain of education science. Moreover, the events are open to user registration from the general public, the other sectors, and researchers/students from other discipline. If you are using self-authored paper in your event, it is a good opportunity to expand the outreach of your research.
- Listed as a research consultant: as an OJC host, you will have the choice of being listed as one of the research consultants on ResearchIC's website. It sells your research consulting to registered users on the platform. This benefit is optional and you can opt out without influencing any benefit stated above.
(* In case of international respondents who reside outside Japan, the international remittance fees will be deducted and therefore the final received amount may be less)
100 OJC Events are asynchronous
You may ask "Are OJC events synchronous (i.e., live) or asynchronous (i.e., recorded video)?" The short answer is "everything is done asynchronously" when it comes to hosting an event on the platform. The project's preliminary investigation found that asynchronous training resulted in better results for improving the research literacy of participants. Therefore, all event hosts can pre-record their two 30-minute lectures and upload them to the event page. Questions in the forum are also posted in advance. Answering questions from the audience also takes place asynchronously.
FAQ and guidance for hosts
Deadline of application
July 10, 2023
All hosts and attendants by participating in this open call and engaging with 100 OJC Events on ResearchIC, agree to have their user data collected and analyzed for research purposes.
How to sign upMost host in 100 OJC Events are invited by email individually. Once you agree to be a host, the event coordinator will be assigned to you, who will guide you to the next steps.
As alternative, if you are not invited by email but would like to be one of the hosts in 100 OJC Events, please contact Dr. Jingjing Lin by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.